Our Family
 Genealogy Pages


Matches 151 to 200 of 203

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
151 Howes, Jeremiah. b. at sea, 1637, d. 1706, Yarmouth. Yarmouth HR 1692; selectman 1691-96; M Sarah Prence (?1643/8-1704) in c1668, 12 ch; farmer.

Yarmouth VR 1:130-1; Torrey 394; 1988 Howes g 2 (caveat: impossible dates for Sarah & marr) 
HOWES, Jeremiah (I477)
152 http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=jan2&id=I297 HARTMAN, Angeline (I408)
153 http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:1601024&id=I72345893


1. Caroline FISH b: 1800 - 1825
2. Furman (Thurston) FISH b: 15 May 1802 in Trenton, Oneida Co
3. Thurston FISH b: 1804 in Trenton, Oneida Co or Ontario
4. Matilda Ann FISH b: Abt 1807 in Trenton, Oneida Co
5. Degrass(e) FISH b: 8 Feb 1809 in Jefferson County, NY or Trenton, Oneida Co
6. William Riley FISH b: 12 Apr 1812 in Watertown, Jefferson Co., NY or Trenton, Oneida Co or Trenton, Oneida Co. NY
7. Lydia FISH b: Abt 1818 in Canada
8. John FISH b: Abt 1821 in Canada
9. Daniel H. FISH b: 9 Mar 1823 in Haldimand Twp, Northumberland, Ont.
10. Samuel FISH b: 26 Feb 1845 in Northumberland, Ont. CA 
FISH, Ebenezer (I733)
154 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~walker/walkerwarden.html Source (S208)
155 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~walker/hmartin.html BOSWELL, Chloe Ann (I710)
156 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~walker/hmartin.html BOSWELL, Chloe Ann (I710)
157 http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/4791/hamptonhammondcem.htm

"Cresey, Mrs. Sarah, died 1758" 
INGERSOLL, Sarah (I560)
158 James Cressey was born in 1790 in Buxton, Maine, married in 1820 Hannah, daughter, Robert Hasty, Gorham. He was engaged in cooperage, grocery and farming in Buxton and West Gorham. His wife was a member North Congregational Church at Groveville. He was baptized by immersion when over 80 years old as an Adventist. They moved to Portland in 1869 and lived with their son, Cyrus. She died 1870 in 75th year. He died 1877 in 87th year, buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
CRESSEY, James (I433)
159 John BATCHELDER was born in 1611 in Canterbury, Kent, England. Stearns and Pierce say it was 1610. Pierce mentions another source that sites his birthplace as Cognesmouth, Wales, but he does not explain why he apparently believes this birthplace to be inferior. He was 63 in May 1673 when he singed his will. He emigrated in 1636 to Salem, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He sailed from Sandwich. He received grant of 20 acres land in 1639 in Salem, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He became a member on 23 Jun 1639 in Salem, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He took the oath of a freeman on 13 May 1640 in Salem, Massachusetts Bay Colony. Pierce says it was 13 Nov 1640. He granted 20 acres after 13 Nov 1640 in Salem, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He signed a will on 17 May 1673 in Salem, Essex, MA. Bequeathed to his wife his house and all movable estate, and then onto son John after her death, less 20 acres which he bequeathed to John Cressy (husband of daughter Mary). He also gives his grandchild John Cressy 6 acres. He resided near the present golf grounds near Elliot Street before 1675 in Beverly, Essex, MA. He died on 13 Nov 1675 in Salem, Essex, MA. Pierce (695) says he died 10 Sep 1675 on page 347 and 13 Sep 1675 on page 348. He left, according to his inventory, ?230 (included "considerable" tracts of land, orchards, and buildings) about 13 Nov 1675 in Salem, Massachusetts Bay Colony. He Purchased 60 acres of land. He was a taylor. John's daughter Mary died "in child-bed" in 1659 at the age of 19, the mother of John. John (and his brother Joseph) raised his grandchild rather than his father, Mighill Cressey, who was 31 when Mary died. Parents: Daniel BATCHELDER.

He married to Mary before 1639. Children were: John BATCHELDER, Mary BATCHELDER , Abigail BATCHELDER, Hannah BATCHELDER, Hannah BATCHELDER, John BATCHELDER, Joseph BATCHELDER.

He married to Elizabeth HERRICK after 1653.

160 John Wadleigh Cressey was b. in Gorham, Maine, February 22, 1749, m. December 1, 1770 Susanna McDonald of Gorham, b. in 1751. He was probably b. in the Fort on Fort Hill on account of the Indians. He bought a farm on Codman's Hill, where his father first settled. After a time he sold this piece and was paid in Continental money, which proved to be worthless. About 1776 he moved to the adjoining town of Buxton, bought a farm of 60 acres called the ``Right'' of Cornelius Davis of Newbury and Rowley on range of lots known by the letter G, No. 5. Mr. Davis was a soldier in the Narragansett War in 1675. Buxton was a land grant by the General Court of Mass. to the soldiers of that war, being No. 1 of the 7 ``Narragansett Plantations.'' About 1786 Mr. Cressey built a large two-story which stood until 1934, 150 years, having been occupied by five generations. Records give but 13 two-story houses in Buxton in 1798. He kept a good stock of cattle, sheep, swine and poultry. He and his wife raised and made nearly everything needed for the family in food and clothing by using the flaxwheel, spinning wheel, and the hand loom. He served as collector of taxes in Buxton in 1795. His wife d. in 1834 at 83, a member of Rev. Paul Coffin's Church. He d. in 1842 in 94th year, an early settler and ``truly a worthy, honest man.'' They were buried in Groveville Cemetery, Buxton, Maine. He left a good property and many descendants. CRESSEY, John Wadleigh (I554)
161 JOHN, Beverly, s. of William, m. 10 Apr. 1659, Sarah Procter, d. of John, wh. d. 8 Feb. 1716, had, at Salem, bef. div. of the town, John, b. 2 Jan. 1662; rem. and was rep. perhaps, for Rowley 1664, yet adm. freem. only on 29 Apr. 1668; other ch. were William; Sarah, bapt. 16 Feb. 1668; Hannah, 16 May 1669, d.soon; Hannah, again, 2 July 1671; and Martha, b. 5 Feb. bapt. 26 Oct. 1673. DODGE, Capt. John (I1518)
162 JOHN, Salem, mariner, prob. s. of Richard, b. in Eng. or perhaps, but less likely, on the voyage hither, m. Judith Felton, sis. perhaps of Nathaniel, or d. of the wid. Ellen, went with Gloucester people to New London, a. 1643, but back in a yr. or two, by w. Judith Felton had John; Nathaniel, wh. most happi. is bless. with two birthdays on the same page of Essex Inst. I. 153, viz. 10 Apr. and 2 Dec. 1647 (the same numerals being employ. in both, the day and mo. interchang.); Ruth; and Richard, 1 Sept. 1651, as on the same page it is said, he was bapt. then, whereas the foregoing were; all bapt. 10 Sept. 1654; Sarah, 3 June; Samuel, 6 Oct. 1658, bapt. perhaps 30 Jan. 1659; Joseph, b. 9 Dec. 1661; Hannah, 11 Mar. 1664; both d. very soon; Deborah, 1668; was freem. 1668; rem. to Casco, had there Ephraim; Mary; Rachel; and Abigail; beside a d. wh. m. ----- Brown, and d. bef. her f. Driv. by the Ind. war from Falmouth, he sett. at Kittery, d. 1716, leav. wid. Deborah aged 71, and the ch.Elisha; Nathaniel; John; Ephraim; Deborah, wh. m. Benjamin Larrabee; Mary Low; Rachel, w. of John Chapman; and Abigail Blacey. Willis, I. 211. Other ch. were Joseph and Hannah, but both d. quite young. Sarah m. 1676, William Ropes. INGERSOLL, John (I1397)
163 John, was called a miller in North Kingston, RI.

Six of their sons, (all excepting John) moved into New York Colony about the same time, some settling in Dutchess County. Their Uncle Natham Closson, had migrated to Dutchess County so this may have influenced the six young Bull brothers to "go west" and eventually settle there. They had large families which later helped to colonize the wilderness of other parts of New York in the north and west. Some went to Vermont, the southern part of which was New York at the time. During and following the Revolutionary War, some of their descendants went up into Quebec and some eventually migrated westerly across Canada.

The dates of death for John and his wife have not been located.

All the Bull families who descended from Isaac Bull were Quakers, at least for one or two more generations. Some had descendants who are Quakers still. They were hardy pioneers and could have taken few things with them on their trek from Rhode Island through a sparsely settled country, and communications with relatives and friends left in Rhode Island must have been difficult and infrequent. As they lost touch with the old family, history changed to legend or was lost altogether. Mostly vital (public) records were left to tell the tale - such records as land records, births, deaths and marriages which the different colonies kept.

Legend says that three Bull brothers went to New York City, bought property in Manhattan where the Astor Hotel was afterwards built. Being new to the country and there being difficulty about the title, they hired Aaron Burr to clean it up. The story says that Burr sold out to the other party and they lost their property. Much money was spent trying to prove rightful ownership, but to no avail. [This legend persists in several of the Bull families.]

All of this info is from Mary Youngs book.

R. L. Coto Note: 
BULL, John (I745)
164 Josiah Bull Sr. was one of the first settlers in Beekman Precinct, and his children's births were recorded in Oblong Meeting Records. He settled near Pleasant Valley, Dutchess County, where he spent the remainder of his life, and died at an "advanced age". He was a member of the Society of Friends; by trade, a millwright. He and Ruth were the parents of nine children, eight of whom grew to manhood, or womanhood, married and reared families.

Two of their sons, Robert and Henry were taken prisoners by the British early in the Revolutionary War, and as rebels, were confined on one of the British prison ships in New York Harbor, where one died from violence and privation. The other was rescued by relatives but died soon after. 
BULL, Josiah (I743)
165 Lieutenant Daniel Cressey was b. at ``Royal Side,'' Salem, now Beverly, Mass., July 11, 1698, m. 1720 Sarah Ingleson of Beverly. He was a shoemaker by trade and probably a tanner of leather. The records say he was a ``cordwainer.'' He lived on the 13-acre lot with a house and barn thereon, which his father (Dea. John2) bought of John Green in 1695. In 1737 Daniel moved to Andover and sold out. About 1740 he bought land and buildings in Methuen and later a part of this town was set off where he lived as Salem, N.H., and he served as selectman. He united with the First Church in Boston in 1716 when 17, and in 1740 asked for a letter to unite at Methuen. He was a soldier in the war between France and England, New England forces, called ``Rogers' Rangers,'' and served as Lieutenant in this the third colonial war. He was at the seige and surrender of the French at Louisburg, Cape Breton Islands, in 1745. About the close of the war in 1748 he was shot and murdered for his money by an English officer from England, Lieutenant James Hadley. He changed his name and fled to England. The widow was left with 9 living children. She moved to Hampton, Connecticut, where 3 of their daughters married 3 brothers by the name of Ashley. She d. there at the home of one of her daughters. He was about 50. CRESSEY, Lieutenant Daniel (I559)
166 Mayo, Samuel. b. 1655, Eastham; d. 1738, Eastham. Eastham HR 1711, 15; selectman 1715, 17, 21-23; M Ruth Hopkins (c1653-b1727) in 1680 and Mary Sweet ( - ) in 1727, 6 ch; farmer. No committees in the 1715 HR.

Torrey 500; REG 102:49; 1965 Mayo g 38; IGI 
MAYO, Samuel (I932)
167 Merrick (Myrick), William. b. 1643, Eastham; d. 1732, Harwich. Harwich HR 1719; ensign 1719; M Abigail Hopkins (1644-a1688) in 1667 and Elizabeth -- ( - ) b1692, 9 ch; farmer; will. He moved to Harwich about 1700. No committees.

1902 Merrick g 14-5; IGI for AH 
MERRICK, Ensign William (I943)
168 Mighill Cressey (Mighel Cresse), the emigrant, was probably born in Kent County, England, in 1628, and landed at ``Royal Side'' Salem, now Beverly, Mass., in 1649, when he was 21. It is said the family has been traced back to 1066 A.D., when a Cressey was with William, the Duke of Normandy, France, who crossed to England and became William the Conqueror. The records indicate that there were two young men whose names were Mighel and William Cresse, who lived in the Salem township before 1650. They probably came with Captain Thomas Lothrop, by whom they were employed. William1 was living in the family of Mordica Larcom of Beverly Farms in 1661, and later went to Stamford, Connecticut, and probably was the ancestor of the families that spell the name Crissey. It was Captain Lothrop who, with 60 of his soldiers, fell in the massacre by the Indians during King Philip's War at `` Bloody Brook'' in Deerfield, Mass., on September 18, 1675. They were styled the ``Flower of Essex.'' Maghill1 lived in the Lothrop family and the family of Joshua Ray, who lived on Conant Street, North Beverly, whose dau. Berthia had m. Captain Lothrop.

He lived here until his m. with Mary, dau. of John and Elizabeth Batchelder of ``Royal Side.'' John Batchelder was b. in Canterbury, England, in 1611; was a tailor. He sailed from Sandwich in 1637; built a house near the present golf grounds, near Elliott Street; was a member of a military company. He d. in 1675 at 64; estate valued at ?230 . His will begins: ``I bequeath my soul to the Lord Jesus, my Redeemer, and my body to my friends, by them only to be interred, and what estate the Lord hast given, I dispose of, etc.''

Mighill1 Cressey, farmer, m. Mary Batchelder in 1658, who was baptized at the First Church in Salem, September 19, 1640, and d. in child-bed in 1659, leaving a son, John,2 who was brought up by his grandfather, and uncle, Joseph Batchelder. Mighill moved to Ipswich and m. (2) in 1660 Mary, dau. of Mark Quilter, b. in 1641. He d. in Ipswich in 1670 at 42; value of estate as per inventory, ?52 17s. 10d. His widow moved to Rowley with her 3 children and m. (2) in 1671 Joseph Horsley, who d. in 1699. She d. in Rowley May 7, 1707 at 67. Mighill1 was probably a member of a military company. On various records the surname Cressey is spelled 23 different ways. Among other things in the inventory was a musket, sword, and a bandoleer, 1 spinning wheel, 2 skillets and a warming pan, 2 bullocks, 1 steer, 3 cows, 2 sucking calves, 5 sheep, 1 lamb and 3 swine, wool, cotton, flax, 2 pr. cards, 16 bushels Indian corn, rye, malt, barley, boards, plow, chain, sled, wheels, 2 axes, wedges, bedding and furniture; six acres of land at ``Royal Side.'' 
CRESSEY, Mighill (I563)
169 Moved to America, 1645. GORHAM, Ralph (I468)
170 Nantucket VR note: "See Salisbury VR." SEVERANCE, Mary (I832)
171 Nantucket VR: "Came to Nant. in 1663. Came from the city Norwich in England in 1638." FOLGER, Peter I (I843)
172 NATHANIEL ORRIS, b. Boston 27 April 1664 [BVR 93]; m. Boston 11 September 1690 Mary Ivet [BVR 192].

One grandmother of Deborah [Orris] would have been Elizabeth, the wife of George Orris, whose surname is unknown. The other would have been the mother of Mary Ivet, the wife of Nathaniel Orris. The surname Ivet does not otherwise appear in Boston or Watertown and is most likely a garbled version of some other surname. One of these women had apparently been admitted to Watertown church by about 1650 (or earlier). Since George Orris had already married Elizabeth by 1643 and she was soon after admitted to Boston church, we suggest that Mary Ivet, whatever her correct surname may have been, was a member of a Watertown family. 
ORRIS, Mary (I459)
173 NEHGS Register article says 1841, but Highland Cemetery gravestone, and History of Gorham, Maine, indicate that death date was 23 Dec 1842. CRESSEY, John Wadleigh (I554)
174 Never came to New England. His daughter Elizabeth came with his brother Samuel in 1635. HINCKLEY, Thomas (I914)
175 On or about 5 Apr 1635, he, along with 52 other adventurous men and boys, along with their wives and children, set sail from Southampton on the ship "James" of London. The Master was William Cooper and the ship was of 300 tons. The ship arrived in Boston, MA 3 June 1635 after a journey of 8 weeks. HAWES, Edmund (I895)
176 References:

[descendants of edward bull.FTW]
Lived in Cramahe Township, Ontario
[Bull/Bradley Family History]
George and his brother, Henry, were among those who signed the "Articles of
Association" in June and July 1775 from Rhinebeck Precinct, Dutchess Co.,
NY. Another brother, Josiah II, of Beekman Precinct, refused to sign.
Being Quakers and not believing in war, what property many of the Bull
families had was confiscated by the Government and they were given land
near Picton, Ontario, by the British Crown.


BULL, George (I741)
177 Registered with Social Security as Martha McCarthy
Social Security number: 365-68-9240 
LITTLE, Martha Minnetta (I404)
178 Registered with Social Security as Maurice McCarthy
Social Security number: 365-68-9240

Residence in 1917: 186 15th St., Detroit, Mich. (Also shown as 1500 15th St. in Canadian army records.)

Joined the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force, May 28, 1917. Served in the 3rd Battery, Canadian Field Artillery in France. Discharged April 24, 1919, with rank of Gunner.

Had sisters Mary and Lizzie, brother David (died as a child in an accident with a gaslight maintenance platform), John ("much older - married to Martha, lived in Savannah, Illinois"), Timothy, and "another brother who died when the great lakes iron ore ship he served on, sank." Timothy was "A little slow. His mother (Victoria) fell down the cellar stairs when she was pregnant and Timothy was injured in utero. He played the violin beautifully when he was a child." 
MCCARTHY, Morris James (I403)
179 Richard Paine of Harwich, Mass., married Phebe Myrick of Eastham, Mass. Their fifth child, Richard, born Aug. 14, 1736, and William, their eighth child, born Sept. 30, 1743, came to Gorham about 1770, and purchased a part of the hundred acre lot, 63, on which they settled. This spot was long known as the Paine, and now as the Osborne neighborhood. PAINE, Richard (I453)
180 RICHARD, Salem 1629, came with Higginson, bring w. and childr. was from Co. Bedford, kept the ferry at N. riv. d. 1644. His will of 21 July 1644, pro. 2 Jan. 1645, ment. w. Ann, s. George, John, and Nathaniel, the youngest, s.-in-law Richard Pettingell, wh. m. his d. Joanna, and William Haines, wh. m. his d. Sarah, that had sec. h. Joseph Houlton, also ds. Alice, w. of Josiah Walcot, and Bathsheba, the youngest, wh. m. John Knight, jr. and bef. 1652, his f. John Knight m. her mo. Ann, wh. d. 1677. In his inv. a pair of oxen is set down as of the value of ?14, and his farm of fifty acres ?7. His wid. d. 30 July 1677. INGERSOLL, Richard (I1398)
181 Said to have been born at sea, on the voyage to New England from England. HOWES, Jeremiah (I477)
182 SAMUEL, Barnstable, br. of the preced. by w. Elizabeth [[vol. 1, p. 414]] d. of Richard Taylor, m. 20 Dec. 1680, had Sarah, b. 20 Aug. 1681; Thomas, 1 June 1683; Elizabeth Nov. 1685; Henry, 17 Feb. 1687; Samuel, and Mehitable, tw. 10 Sept. 1691; Experience, 8 Jan. 1693; Jonathan, 25 Dec. 1694; Eleazer, 14 Jan. 1696; and Lydia, 8 Dec. 1699; and he d. 7 Dec. 1727. Descend. are very num. of wh. Ebenezer, that d. at Kingston, 8 Dec. 1801, at the age, as was said, of more than 107 and 1/2 yrs. was, perhaps, the oldest man wh. ever was b. and liv. on the soil of Mass. Of this name, gr. at Harv. in 1828, were by Farmer found six; at Yale, and Dart. two ea. and nine at the other N. E. coll. COBB, Samuel (I856)
183 SAMUEL, Barnstable, m. 14 Oct. 1697, wid. Mary Orris, whose h. Nathaniel d. 23 Nov. preced. had Nathaniel, b. 8 Jan. bapt. 19 Feb. 1699, d. at 12 yrs.; John, 6 June, bapt. 6 July 1701; Solomon, b. 25 Sept. 1703; Mary, 14 Feb. 1706; Moses, 18 June 1708; Jonathan, 1 Nov. 1711; and Nathaniel, again, 2 Feb. 1715. STURGIS, Samuel (I455)
184 Sarah INGERSOL was born about 1700. She moved after 1748 to Hampton, Windham, CT. She died about 1750 in Hampton, Windham, CT. She was about 50 when she died at the home of one of her daughters.

Parents: Richard INGERSOL and Ruth DODGE.

She married to Sergeant Daniel CRESSEY Yeoman on 20 Oct 1720.

Children were: John CRESSEY, Ruth CRESSEY, Mary CRESSEY, Ruth CRESSEY, Sarah CRESSEY, Private Daniel CRESSEY, Joseph CRESSEY, Elizabeth CRESSEY, Richard CRESSEY, Ebenezer CRESSEY, Anna CRESSEY.

INGERSOLL, Sarah (I560)
185 See "Edger Little" in 1881 Canadian census. Shown as son of "Andru J. Little", age 8 in 1881. Sister "Mineta Little", age 2. Census place: Windsor, Ontario.

Brothers Bert (who owned a housemoving company) and Morgan.

Daughters Minetta and Clarissa (Aunt Clara) were from first marriage to Ruth. Ruth died when Minetta was age 15.

1881 Canadian census:
Andru J. LITTLEMaleIrish31O BlacksmithB C Methodist
Emely I. LITTLEFemale 27O B C Methodist
Edger LITTLEMaleIrish8O B C Methodist
Burty LITTLEMaleIrish5O B C Methodist
Mineta LITTLEFemaleIrish2O B C Methodist
Nelson A. LITTLEMaleIrish<1 Born: Aug; 8/12O B C Methodist
Lissie CAMPEAUFemaleFrench16USACatholic 
LITTLE, William Edgar Bockus (I481)
186 See NEHGS Register V.65, p.160 for info on "English Ancestors of Edmond Hawes of Yarmouth, Mass." HAWES, Edmund (I895)
187 See notes for Jane Hartman for 1880 census info.

"...James A. Hartman and Jane Hartman, who settled in Umatilla County in 1871, one of the substantial pioneer families of the county." (Centennial History of Oregon, p.356)

There is a James Anderson Hartman listed as a private in the 43rd Regiment Tennessee Volunteers Confederate States Army, Company "F".
HARTMAN, James Anderson (I425)
188 Sergeant Daniel CRESSEY Yeoman was born on 11 Jul 1698 in Royal Side of Cape Ann (now Beverly), Essex, MA.(1945) (1946) He became a member First Church of Boston in 1716 in Beverly, Essex, MA.(1947) He resided 13 acre lot with a house and barn purchased by his father before 1737 in Beverly, Essex, MA.(1948) He moved in 1737 to Andover, Essex, MA.(1949) He moved in 1740 to Methuen, Essex, MA.(1950) He purchased land and buildings there. He became a member First Church of Boston in 1740 in Methuen, Essex, MA.(1951) He resided after 1741 in Salem, Rockingham, NH.(1952) In that year, the part of Methuen, MA where Daniel resided was incorporated as Salem, Rockingham, NH when New Hampshire was formed as a separate Colony. He served as an Among 4000 New Englanders to attack French Fort Louisbourg on Cape Breton. Killed in accident between 1745 and 1747 in King George's War (1744-1748).(1953) (1954)(1955) (1956) Daniel served with the group of mainly Massachusetts soldiers who attacked the French Fort Louisbourg in 1745 on Cape Breton Island where the French surrendered. This was part of what was called the King George's War 1744-1748). Cressey (481) says that he was in Roger's Rangers, but that is not possible since that group was created in a later French and Indian War. Cressey (481) says Daniel was a lieutenant, but that is also incorrect. He was a Sergeant, according to Louisbourg Court Martial Records (532). He is also absent from a compiled list of approximately 700 officers who served in the champaign complied by Charles Hudson (549).

The following is a short history of Louisbourg from various historical sources:

Ben Franklin called Louisbourg a "hard nut to crack" but in 1745 a ragtag army of New Englanders captured France's most imposing North American stronghold. Founded in 1713 for its cod fishery, Louisbourg enjoyed three peaceful decades as a French colonial seaport. Between 1660 to 1760, men of New England fought repeatedly to keep Nova Scotia in English hands with little help from England, which was at war with France in Europe. The New Englanders feared that France would attack. For years, the French used Indians to attack the isolated inhabitants of New York and Maine, and the British did little. An attack on Louisbourg was considered an act of self-preservation. It was also considered unlikely to succeed. Louisbourg was Frances stronghold in North America. It was called "impenetrable."

In 1744 the French captured and destroyed a British fort at Canso, Nova Scotia, and carried the prisoners to the French fortress of Louisbourg on Cape Breton Island. Go. William Shirley of Massachusetts, fearing French invasion, appealed to the other colonies for aid. A force of about 4000 militiamen was raised and placed under the command of Sir William Pepperell, a Maine merchant.

In April 1745, the colonial troops sailed in British ships from Boston sailed to Louisbourg and attacked. The ragtag army of New Englanders, supported by a British naval squadron, captured Louisbourg after a 46-day siege. Commanded by General William Pepperell, they included about 5000 inexperienced men from Massachusetts (4000), CT (500), NH (300), and RI (300). The minimum force required to properly defend a Fortress of Louisbourg's size was 3,500 men. Louisbourg held out for seven weeks with a defending force of only 1500 men. While no fortress can withstand an invasion indefinitely, many were still surprised when on June 15, after seven weeks of attack, a ragtag bunch of colonials successfully captured the supposedly impregnable fortress at Louisbourg by force. Yet England returned Cape Breton to France three years later.

Most of the inhabitants were sent to France and Louisbourg was garrisoned by New England and then English troops until 1749. At the end of the war in 1748, Louisbourg was returned to the French by the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle, in return for British control of Madras, India.

He died on 1 Apr 1747 in Louisbourg, Cape Breton, Canada.(1957) (1953)(1958) The death of Daniel Cressey is a very interesting story. While some call it an accident, others call it murder. According to Ernest Cressey, author of "Story of Your Ancestors: CRESSEY, 286 Years in America" (1935) Lieutenant Daniel Cressey of Massachusetts was part of Roger's Rangers and among the soldiers who, in 1745, attacked and defeated the French at Fort Louisbourg, Nova Scotia. "About the close of the war in 1748 [presumably in Louisbourg], he was shot and murdered for his money by an English officer from England, Leut. James Hadley. He changed his name and fled to England." I have learned that much of Cressey's account is incorrect. Not only had Roger's Ranger's not yet formed at this time, but the actual Louisbourg Court Martial Records tell a different story. The record was hand transcribed for me by staff of the New Hampshire Historical Society (who do not know how they came to possess the document). According to the record, a Lieutenant SAMUEL Hadley shot dead SERGEANT Daniel Cressey [emphasis added] of Colonel Shirley's Regiment in a duck hunting accident on 1 Apr 1747. Hadley was court martialed, but the court, after hearing witnesses, ruled the death an accident and Hadley was acquitted.

But the story does not end there. Over 80 years later, a grandson of Daniel, Benjamin Cressey, wrote his opinion of what happened. He believed that Hadley shot and murdered Cressey for the considerable money that Cressey had saved to buy a farm, was falsely acquitted and fled to England. Benjamin is mistaken in his belief that Daniel was an officer and that the trail of Lt. Hadley took place in Boston - the court martial was in Louisbourg. I am inclined to believe that Daniel was a Sergeant rather than an officer, but was it an accident or murder? It would be interesting to confirm how quickly Lieutenant Hadley left for England. He was a cordwainer (shoemaker) and probably a leather tanner as well in Beverly, Essex, MA.(1959) Parents: Deacon John CRESSEY and Sarah GAINES.

He married to Sarah INGERSOL on 20 Oct 1720. (1960)(1961) Children were: John CRESSEY, Ruth CRESSEY , Mary CRESSEY, Ruth CRESSEY , Sarah CRESSEY, Private Daniel CRESSEY, Joseph CRESSEY, Elizabeth CRESSEY, Richard CRESSEY, Ebenezer CRESSEY, Anna CRESSEY.

CRESSEY, Lieutenant Daniel (I559)
189 Sparrow, Jonathan. b. 1634, Eastham; d. 1707, Eastham. Eastham HR 1668-1690, 92, 99; JP 1692, 1702; Barn Co. Court of Com. Pleas Judge 1695-1702; capt.; M Rebecca Bangs (c1635-c1665) in 1654 and Hannah (Prence) Mayo (1632-b1698) in c1668 ?and Sarah (Lewis) Cobb (1644-1735) in 1698, 9 ch; farmer; will.

MD 14:193-203; Torrey 164, 694; Nickerson Papers 
SPARROW, Captain Jonathan (I579)
190 STURGIS, or STURGES, EDWARD, Charlestown 1634, but tho. he was resid. there at least two yrs. he was not of the ch. rem. in few yrs. to Yarmouth, where he was count. 1643, able to bear arms, and had address. with others in Apr. 1639 to the Gov. had Mary, bapt. at Barnstable, 1 June 1646; Elizabeth b. at Y. 20 Apr. 1648, Joseph, bur. 16 Apr. 1650, few days old. Prob. he had other ch. and perhaps one was Edward, and one of his s. may have m. Mary, d. of Capt. William Hedge, nam. in his will. STURGIS, Edward Sr. (I875)
191 Surname could be "Wadland" or "Wadling". WADLEIGH, Deborah (I557)
192 THOMAS, Ipswich 1636, had come in the Hopewell, capt. Babb, from London, in the autumn of 1635, hav. engag. his pass. 28 July, then call, his age 30, with w. Mary, 30, and s. Thomas, 1 yr. and first sat down at Dorchester, but at I. had Mary, b. 26 or 29 Sept. 1636; Nathaniel, 15 Mar. 1640; Esther, 21 Mar. 1641; and Martha, 16 Mar. 1644; was sw. freem. 7 Sept. 1638, and d. 8 June 1671, leav. wid. Mary, and ch. Thomas, Nathaniel, and Mary. His wid. d. Dec. 1685. Esther m. 8 Oct. 1665, the sec. Daniel Hovey. T TREADWELL, Thomas (I1119)
193 VR entries for both Little Compton and Tiverton. CLOSSON, Mary (I746)
194 VR Entries for both Little Compton and Tiverton. CLOSSON, Josiah (I958)
195 VR indicates names as: "Abal Tripp" and "Anne Daves" Family F97
196 Was a Soldier in King Philip's War, credited to the town of Woburn, MA on 24 June 1676 under Captain Joseph Syll. He was also a garrison of Chelmsford. He was given an assignment of wages on 24 August 1676 to Woburn Town. He return to Woburn and was a taxpayer there after the War.

After the war he moved to Marshfield, MA where he married Mary and where two of his eight children were born. Benjamin Church, the leader of the Colony Forces in the King Philip's War founded Little Compton, RI; then an outpost of Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts. Josiah followed his leader there about 1681-2 where many of the family lived till after the Revolution.

Josiah Closson died interstate in 1698/9. The probate of Bristol County appointed his widow, Mary Closson, Administratrix to administer the Estate in behalf of the minor children. Her Invntory, Bond and Account were filed with the Probate Court at Bristol, Massachusetts.

SOURCE: "Little Compton Families" by Benjamin Franklin Wilbour; published by Little Compton Historical Society, Little Compton, RI 1967.

Fact 1: November 23, 1694, Bought land in Little Compton
Fact 2: December 23, 1694, Bought land in Little Compton
Fact 3: December 21, 1698, Bought land in Little Compton
Fact 4: 1685, Constable of Little Compton 
CLOSSON, Josiah (I958)
197 Website
MARTIN, Henry Smith (I709)
198 Website
BOSWELL, Chloe Ann (I710)
199 Website
KIP, Elizabeth (I750)
200 William Paine (...) was a shoemaker by trade. He was a revolutionary soldier, enlisting in 1776 under Capt. Paul Ellis of Falmouth. Dec 5, 1766, he married Sarah Mayo. Their children were all born in Gorham, except the elsest, Mary, who was born in Eastham. (History of Gorham, 1903.) PAINE, William (I451)

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»